Tuesday, March 27, 2012

There is a jungle in my collards


I'm thinking this is some sort of army worm.

Aphids


Southern Armyworm, Spodeptera eridania? (The question mark means I don't really know)


A different angle of these two paling around

Newly borns

The ubiquitous diamondback moth, Plutella xylostella 


Neon slime

Neon spidie

Another diamondback moth

Army worm?


Metamorphosis 

Who says I never host parties?

Shredage

The yellowstriped armyworm I beleive, Spodoptera ornithogalli

The curl up self defense, not particularly effective

3 comments:

  1. #2 look like mealybugs or maybe wooly aphids. I think the last picture is a cut worm, but I'm not sure. They're usually not active during the day. I agree with your conclusions on most of the armyworm pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Party down, little guys. Thanks for the bug tutorial, Travis. Maybe it's time for a warm-weather crop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. Love the captions.

    Looks like you're feeding a massive ecosystem, if not yourself.

    ReplyDelete