Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dig it up and try it again

Roots have done a good job invading the three original raised beds, which I am faulting along with the nematodes for making it look like I didn't know what I was doing. I am going to take two approaches to both these problems. Plan one was the don't the leave the house plan. I dug up the bed and made a small trench along the edge. I hopefully broke up most of the root growth that was in bed. I then lined it with cardboard to discourage at least temporarily the roots from returning. I suspect most roots are the mulberry's which seems to be an especially aggressive tree. For the second bed I am going to leave the house and buy things. I am going to get some sort ground cloth and crab meal.



2 comments:

  1. have you used kelp as a fertilizer? my boss said it produced the largest cabbage he'd ever seen

    ReplyDelete